top of page
  • Writer's picture Marie Hayes

Making It Simple

Updated: Oct 30, 2018

What do we need to do to get married?

Here's your 7 step guide to getting hitched.

1. First of all, you must both be over the age of 18 years, unless you have parental permission and a court order from a magistrate.

2. You need a celebrant! Get in touch and we can chat through the details of your day. The first thing we'll do together is complete a booking form and I will take a deposit from you to secure your booking. At this time (if possible) we'll also complete and sign the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form. The NOIM is an official Australian Government form that must be completed and signed by both parties intending to marry, in front of an authorised witness (see below). This form must be completed no less than one month prior to your wedding and can be done up to 18 months in advance.

3. If you live locally l can act as your authorised witness. If you live elsewhere in Australia, this form will need to be signed by each of the persons intending to marry, and witnessed by one of the following:

  • An Australian Justice of the Peace

  • An authorised Celebrant

  • A Commissioner for Declaration

  • An Australian barrister or solicitor

  • An Australian legally qualified medical practitioner

  • A member of the Australian Federal Police

  • A member of a police force of a state or territory of Australia

  • If you live outside Australia, this form can be signed by each of the parties intending to marry, and witnessed by one of the following:

  • An Australian Diplomatic Officer

  • An Australian Consular Officer

  • Employee of the Commonwealth authorised under Paragraph 3 © of the Consular Fees Act 1955

  • A Notary Public

Once the form is completed and signed, you can mail it to me.

4. Before the wedding I will need to see the following documentation:

  • Original birth certificate for each of you if born in Australia, or a passport of your home country if you are a citizen of a country other than Australia. Australian passports are not acceptable if you were born in Australia; or

  • A Statutory Declaration if you were born overseas and have no record of your birth (or have lost your documentation).

  • If you have been previously married I will also need to see evidence of your divorce (a decree absolute) or the death certificate of your previous spouse if you are a widower.

  • If you have officially changed your name I will need to see your legal proof of the name change.

  • If your documents are in a language other than English you will need to have them translated and authorised by a person who is a legally recognised translator.

5. We design your ceremony. I supply you with a range of ideas for the wording and structure of your ceremony. You can do this close to the wedding, or months prior to the wedding date – whatever suits you. There are certain elements and words that must be included in your ceremony to make it legally binding and I will work with you to include these. I do need your completed ceremony at least one month and one day prior to your wedding date to review it and make sure it complies with the requirements as set out by the Attorney-General’s office for the marriage to be legal.

6. You both must sign a Declaration of Marriage form, declaring that there is no legal reason why the marriage cannot take place. This is done as close to the wedding date as possible, often at the rehearsal, if you are having one.

7. Get married! On the day of the marriage ceremony, you must each have a witness over the age of 18 years attend the ceremony to witness and sign the legal documentation. You must all sign three pieces of documentation.

I will guide you through all of this step by step and lodge all the paperwork on your behalf For easy access click here to download Form:


bottom of page